Translate this blog!

Thursday, February 21, 2019

Musings on Music: Taemin 2nd mini album. "Want" Music Video





SHINee's Lee Taemin recently released his latest album in South Korea. It is entitled, "Want" and contains seven tracks. 

I would like to do a track by track by track review of this album. But, first, I would like to say a few things. 

The Music Video

When I initially watched the music video, I found it very creepy. Contrary to popular opinion, I honestly don't like it at all. 

I would like to say exactly why and at the same time, still respect the artist. My opinion is not to bash Taemin, rather, I want to help him. 

This song and music video are both very symbolic. The lyrics, I believe are talking about temptation, but rather than wanting to lead the listener out of temptation, they and the music and video together want to draw and beckon the listener in. 

Taemin is filmed with snakes in various parts of the video. I immediately became alarmed by this because the snake in the book of Genesis in the Bible was what Satan used to tempt Eve and Adam in the Garden of Eden. I believe that the snakes represent temptation here as well. 

The video also partially shows forms of women, the lighting changes drastically and there are quick shots and extreme close-ups of Taemin. There is one point where he is wearing a net of some kind around his head. 

While these parts are not technically overt, they're not completely subdued either. They depict mystery, but forbidden mystery. Something that, again, wants to draw the listener and person watching the video in. 

I will say that this is very deceptively clever. 

However, now I will explain why I dislike everything about this music video. 

Taemin has said numerous times in interviews throughout his career that, he is a devout Christian. In particular, he is Catholic. 

In the past and even in the present, I have seen that his faith inside is very strong, but I also get the sense that he is afraid oftentimes to really show it. 

As a musician and composer myself, I know how difficult it is to share one's faith especially in a very secular entertainment industry today. 

The entertainment business today is very very liberal. They seem to more and more want to accept sexualizing of both men and women and it seems like the pressure is there for young artists and just artists in general that you have to be sexy in order to sell music and become famous. 

However, even if I desired fame, would I want to gain this and forever lose my soul? 

No, I would not. 

With all this being said, I am very deeply concerned for Taemin right now. I am concerned about his soul and his faith. 

In past interviews, he has talked about how much going to church means to him. How it gives him strength. He also talked about how in previous years, he has worn a rosary bracelet, which now he wears a rosary ring. 

In case anyone doesn't know what the rosary is and what it means, it really is a powerful prayer. You focus on the Gospel of Jesus Christ. His Life, Death and Resurrection throughout the prayers and with it, I believe it is a good teaching tool for sharing the Gospel with others. 

I really like how you can wear things like rosary rings and bracelets and it's another way besides wearing a cross, as a reminder of my faith and what Jesus Christ has done for all of us. How He came to save the whole world. 

How He is a living Savior! Praise God for that. I am so thankful. 

Anyway, Taemin at one point, I believe I read this happened around 2012 or so. He was at a concert with the other SHINee members and while they were performing on stage, he somehow lost his rosary ring. Soon after, a fan found it and started a process in which to get it back to him. He did get it back within a month. He said he was very grateful for this as it is one of his most precious possessions. 

Another time, I saw a video where he met a girl going through some serious health problems from what I understand. He wore a rosary bracelet at the time and he gave it to her and told her about what this meant and that he would be praying for her. 

I also read that he always prays before every single concert before he goes on stage. 

With all of this in consideration, I believe that his faith is very important to him. 

However, this music video along with some other songs, which he has recorded say something completely contrasting to this. 

Unfortunately, from a very young age, his record company has sexualized him. It's very very sad. I believe that they are continuing to pressure him into recording songs like these and that this is the only way he can break through in the entertainment industry. 

I do not believe this is the only way at all. Taemin is a very good singer and dancer. The way that he can make subtle and graceful movements is just beautiful to watch. 

I believe that these gifts come from God and can be used by Him. 

However, with videos like these, those gifts cannot really shine. Rather, I believe they are being stifled and used for only making money and spreading evil messages. 

I really hate what the entertainment industry is doing to people these days. What they want us to think is okay. 

I would like to say a few words to Taemin. 

Dear Taemin, 

I just want you to know that I care about you very much. I pray for you and the other SHINee members every single day. 

I pray that you can all live for the meaning of the SHINee name. It means to give and receive light. 

I was and am always excited for when you come out with new music as that in of itself is an exciting thing. However, I honestly do not like many of the concepts you have presented in your latest album and music video. 

The reasons being because they directly contrast with the Faith you have said is so important to you. 

Please, listen to me as a fellow Christian. I want to help encourage you to live out your faith in your music. 

Please, do not let the industry, your record company or anyone continue to tell you that you have to be sexy or convey concepts, which only encourage darkness and not light. 

You are a beautiful singer, dancer and I believe you are a beautiful person on the inside as well. 

Even though it isn't at all popular and it is very difficult to do, I want to encourage you to on your next album and in the future, to say no to things of this nature. 

I also want you to know that God will help you. He is always with you and even though this will be hard, He will help you. All the Angels and Saints will help you as well through the Holy Spirit. 

I want you to know that I have and will keep praying for you and do what I can to encourage you to support and do music, which is truly beautiful and conveys hope and light. 

One of SHINee's major messages is that they want to be trend setters. What if, instead of being trend setters of sexually charged concepts and darkness, that you are trendsetters of hope and light? 

What if you use the status you have as celebrities to convey a different message from the mainstream media? 

I do not know for certain if the other SHINee members are Christians or not, but I want you to know that I pray for them as well and for their salvation as well as yours. 

I hope and pray that you will be able to read and understand this letter. Unfortunately, even though I am studying it, I do not know enough Japanese and only a little Korean. Therefore, I can't translate it. I pray that the Holy Spirit helps you to understand what I've said here. 

I want you to grow as a singer and a musician, but not in this way. I do not want you to gain the world and lose your soul forever. 

I love you very much even though I have not met you in person. I love you with the love of Jesus Christ as I do the other SHINee members. 

I want you to know that there is forgiveness for anything you've done so long as you choose to repent thereafter. 

Please, I encourage you to think about this, Taemin. 

As a Shawol and friend in Jesus Christ, I pray that you'll be able to read this letter. 

Thank you, 
Sarah Prewitt

Image credits: 

Image one: 2019 SM Entertainment - obtained from SHINee official Twitter account. 
Image Two: 2018 Kawaii Buzzfeed - obtained from interview article. 

All of the rights belong to those who own them for the images used above. They are not used for any personal profit. I am only using them for fair use. If you would like any of these images taken down, please do not hesitate to contact me. 

1 comment:

  1. I just really want to speak up on something here. I was going to stay silent, but... First of all, I'm really sorry you feel this way about Taemin. I'm going to try to explain this the easiest way possible. Has the thought ever occurred to you that maybe he's just portraying a character in a music video? Just because he sings a song, or that he's doing a certain concept, doesn't mean that's ACTUALLY how he/his life is, right? Kibum said something similar recently, how he thinks it's annoying that just because an artist sings or writes a song, people automatically think it's from their life experience. Another example I want to put out there: just because Key's character in the movie he was just in is a trucker who shouts a lot of obscenities doesn't mean Key himself is, right? So how is it any different with Taemin here? He's not literally trying to be like Satan or something in real life. I also really don't get where it comes off to you that his faith is in jeopardy. It's not the longest of time, but as a Shawol of four years now, not once has it ever come across to me that Taemin was afraid to show his faith. In his defense, he probably wanted to incorporate those themes from the Bible into his MV. However, the message I'm getting from you here is that because he's Catholic, everything he does in his career should be COMPLETELY based on his religion. Speaking of religion, you wanted to know what the other SHINee members' religions were. Kibum and Jinki are Christian. Minho is an atheist, and it's said Jonghyun was atheist (while his family is Catholic if that means anything to you), but to me, he seems more agnostic based on some things he's said in the past. Also, you speak of faith, but don't you have any faith that Taemin knows what he's doing and that he can handle himself? Relating to that, contrary to your apparent belief, SHINee isn't some rookie group who is forced or pressured into doing things they don't want to do by big, bad SM Entertainment. They have quite a lot of freedom in everything they do, as their 11th anniversary is coming up in a few months. Taemin is a grown man, if he wants to do sexy concepts, then let him. He used to be really shy showing a sensual side of himself, but now that he's comfortable with it, why not? I'm proud of him for how far he's come. Not to mention, the choreography for WANT was made by a Japanese choreographer named Koharu, a friend of Taemin who has worked a lot with him in the past. Again, not being forced to do anything. Did you know she made the choreography for SHINee's Good Evening as well? Or do you also think that SHINee was forced into doing that? A little off-topic, why is it only Taemin you're calling out for these kinds of things? I guess because almost all of the songs on Jonghyun's She Is album are about sex, you can't listen to that, either? All but just one of those songs he wrote himself. What about Key's Born to Shine performance from SHINee's first concert at the Tokyo Dome? Or the Internet War performance Jonghyun was really proud that he and Taemin did way back? I don't see you try to "save" them with your overly biased religious standpoint... My point being, SHINee, Taemin included, aren't some helpless children that are being forced into doing a bunch of crap they don't want to do. They are grown men, they're not made of glass and they don't need someone like you to try and read into their feelings like you know exactly what they feel and what's best for them. It's fine to worry about them, but this is NOT the way to go about it. I just wanted to put my thoughts out there.

    ReplyDelete